Georgia ERISA Benefit Claims Attorney Represents Your Rights
Skilled lawyer statewide ERISA Claims
The Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974, ERISA, is a federal law governing most voluntarily established retirement and health plans offered by private companies. The law requires these plans to provide participants with important information such as plan terms and features, and sets minimum standards for participation, vesting, benefit accrual and funding. At Dalziel Law, I draw on extensive knowledge of insurance, employment and federal law to represent clients in the Marietta area and throughout Georgia regarding benefits under ERISA.
What plans are governed by ERISA ?
Many employer-provided benefit plans are governed by ERISA, including:
- Life insurance
- Accidental death & dismemberment insurance
- Long-term disability insurance
- Short-term disability insurance
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Retirement plans (401ks, for example)
ERISA applies to private employers who offer benefits (or plans) but doesn’t require employers to provide them. It also doesn’t apply to privately purchased insurance coverage.
Proven advocate litigates on ERISA claims
My firm handles ERISA claims for plaintiffs as well as defending denials of such claims by defendants. There are four questions that help determine when ERISA applies:
- Who pays the premiums? If the employer pays all or some of the premium, ERISA likely applies.
- Who is the contact? If your contact person is the “plan administrator,” the plan is probably governed by ERISA.
- For whom do you work? If you work for a private company that offers benefits, those benefits are likely governed by ERISA; if you work for a government entity or religious institution, ERISA does not apply.
- What kind of insurance is involved? If it’s employer-paid insurance, it’s likely governed by ERISA.
ERISA claims involved unique issues and you need an attorney experienced in ERISA matters.
Contact a skilled Georgia ERISA benefit claims attorney
At Dalziel Law, I represent employees throughout Georgia on both sides of ERISA benefit claims. Call 404-963-9923 or contact me online to schedule a consultation at my Marietta office.